<video> and <audio> (was RE: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5)

On Monday, August 31, 2009 9:46 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> - New media elements: <audio>, <video>
>   We love these and have them implemented. We don't see any major
> implementation issues in the current spec.

We support the inclusion of the <video> and <audio> elements in the spec. There are a couple of areas that we have some thoughts - we are still discussing the details but here is a quick summary:

a) We think there needs to be a mechanism for the media stream to notify the page of events to allow, for example, a transcript to be synchronised with the playback. Cynthia has ACTION-140 to follow-up with Sean on this.

b) We have been discussing whether there is value in supporting additional optional information on <source> elements. This would be used to indicate properties of the media stream to provide more data for user agents to choose between the different sources. Today, the <source> element provides a combination of MIME type (including codecs parameter) and media query to determine the available sources. We think an interesting use case is one where two sources use the same codecs but are encoded with different properties. For example, they may have different bit rates. Alternatively, two audio sources may be in different languages. We're still actively debating this but would welcome feedback on this idea.

Cheers,

Adrian.