Re: <video> and <audio>

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:33:02 +0200
To: "Adrian Bateman" <adrianba@microsoft.com>, "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
Cc: "Cynthia Shelly" <cyns@exchange.microsoft.com>, "Sean Hayes" <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 17:58:32 +0200, Adrian Bateman
<adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:
> b) We have been discussing whether there is value in supporting
> additional optional information on <source> elements. This would be used
> to indicate properties of the media stream to provide more data for user
> agents to choose between the different sources. Today, the <source>
> element provides a combination of MIME type (including codecs parameter)
> and media query to determine the available sources. We think an
> interesting use case is one where two sources use the same codecs but
> are encoded with different properties. For example, they may have
> different bit rates. Alternatively, two audio sources may be in
> different languages. We're still actively debating this but would
> welcome feedback on this idea.

Some of this might make sense as extensions (likely in the form of media
features) to Media Queries rather than the <source> element. I.e. the
ability to download faster is a property of the device/environment in some
way.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/