Re: <meter> and <progress> (was RE: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:52:32 -0500
To: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Adrian Bateman<adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:
> <meter> does seem like a corner case - I'm also not convinced it would be broadly used. <progress> seems like a reasonable control - it supports both the progress and activity use cases that Windows also provides. I agree with Jonas that it's unlikely to get broad adoption without styling support.

Assuming proper styling controls, meters are used *everywhere*.  Think
about every time you see a rating site that gives a movie 4 stars, for
example.

Without proper styling these sorts of cases won't use <meter>, but
with styling (done in such a way as to make these kinds of things
easy), I think you'll see a lot of use.

~TJ