Re: Microdata: itemid attribute (feedback)

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Martin McEvoy wrote:
>>
>> Just some thoughts on the itemid and the itemref attributes
>>
>> I am unsure if itemid has any actual practical use (either that of I am
>> misunderstanding something).
>>
>> Itemid is used as a global Identifier for an Item, its value must be
>> valid absolute url, what I am unsure of is how to actually use this?
>> here is how I am guessing it should be used.

>>     itemid="http://organization.com/#a"
>>     itemscope
>>     itemtype="http://microformats.org/profile/hcard">
>>    <a itemprop="url fn org" href="http://organization.com/">
>>      Example Oranization
>>    </a>
>>
>> If this is correct then it seems a little like I am repeating data that
>> already exists? itemid seems like it is just a long form version of the
>> data available using id.  I do see itemid as being useful for data that
>> is *not* a url in the traditional sense, such as in the example that
>> uses urn's
>
> The itemid attribute is only useful for vocabularies that use it. This
> will mostly be vocabularies intended for use with RDF systems -- RDF
> systems name lists of name-value pairs all the time. itemid="" in
> Microdata is basically equivalent to about="" in RDFa.

What is the use case? Other than being able to produce a larger range
of RDF graphs, which doesn't seem like a use case in itself, but
rather than a means for something else.

itemid doesn't add a lot of complexity in and of itself. My main
concern is actually that cargo cults will grow up where people use
itemid even though it really isn't needed. Thus causing people to
unneccesarily inflict complexity on themselves.

/ Jonas

/ Jonas