Re: Microdata: itemid attribute (feedback)

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Martin McEvoy wrote:

> Just some thoughts on the itemid and the itemref attributes
>
> I am unsure if itemid has any actual practical use (either that of I am
> misunderstanding something).
>
> Itemid is used as a global Identifier for an Item, its value must be
> valid absolute url, what I am unsure of is how to actually use this?
> here is how I am guessing it should be used.

>     itemid="http://organization.com/#a"
>     itemscope
>     itemtype="http://microformats.org/profile/hcard">
>    <a itemprop="url fn org" href="http://organization.com/">
>      Example Oranization
>    </a>
>
> If this is correct then it seems a little like I am repeating data that
> already exists? itemid seems like it is just a long form version of the
> data available using id.  I do see itemid as being useful for data that
> is *not* a url in the traditional sense, such as in the example that
> uses urn's

The itemid attribute is only useful for vocabularies that use it. This
will mostly be vocabularies intended for use with RDF systems -- RDF
systems name lists of name-value pairs all the time. itemid="" in
Microdata is basically equivalent to about="" in RDFa.