Re: Microdata: itemid attribute (feedback)

Hello Ian,

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Martin McEvoy wrote:
>
>> Just some thoughts on the itemid and the itemref attributes
>>
>> I am unsure if itemid has any actual practical use (either that of I am
>> misunderstanding something).
>>
>> Itemid is used as a global Identifier for an Item, its value must be
>> valid absolute url, what I am unsure of is how to actually use this?
>> here is how I am guessing it should be used.

>>     itemid="http://organization.com/#a"
>>     itemscope
>>     itemtype="http://microformats.org/profile/hcard">
>>    <a itemprop="url fn org" href="http://organization.com/">
>>      Example Oranization
>>    </a>
>>
>> If this is correct then it seems a little like I am repeating data that
>> already exists? itemid seems like it is just a long form version of the
>> data available using id.  I do see itemid as being useful for data that
>> is *not* a url in the traditional sense, such as in the example that
>> uses urn's
>>

> The itemid attribute is only useful for vocabularies that use it. This
> will mostly be vocabularies intended for use with RDF systems -- RDF
> systems name lists of name-value pairs all the time. itemid="" in
> Microdata is basically equivalent to about="" in RDFa.

That what I thought,  a good example of how this may be useful is (in
RDF terms) setting the subject of  something anywhere on the web not
just locally.
I *can* use @id If  I like (for locally defined items indeed I probably
should ) its just @itemid is explicit.

I had a short discussion off list that helped me confirm this.

Thanks

--
Martin McEvoy

http://weborganics.co.uk/