Re: Locale/default encoding table

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:19:28 +0200
To: Andrew Cunningham <andrewc@vicnet.net.au>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Geoffrey Sneddon <gsneddon@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Andrew Cunningham On 09-10-14 06.46:

> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> So where does Windows 1252 as default for Bengali, Tamil etc fit in here?
> a rhetorical question?

A little bit.

But you *did* in fact say to Henri that it seemed logical if
Firefox, for Indian languages, defaults to either *Windows 1252*
or UTF-8. If there is a free choice between win 1252 and UTF-8,
then Win-1252 would be illogical to select.

> maybe because the dominance of English in Indian web content? And before
> the uptake of Unicode for Indian web content, most developers used hacks?

About the "English uptake": Basic English is covered for by the
ASCII section of whichever encoding you choose, anyhow.

As for hacks: OK, I now tested the Bengali www.aajkaal.net in
Windows. Even there, it only works in Internet Explorer, as much
as I could tell. For all other browsers, then, defaulting to
Windows 1251 seems irrelevant. Unless they also start to support
EOT fonts (which I gather is what makes that page work in IE).

Are there hacks that works for Firefox? If not, then win 1251
seems like a bad default for Firefox.

> Its always difficult to explain to end users why web pages in their
> languages don't display correctly in web browsers, or why they can't use
> their language in common web 2.0 or social networking environments. By
> end users , i mean users with limited IT knowledge.

And that is why, when possible, the default encoding should be as
"wide" as possible.
leif halvard silli