Re: Locale/default encoding table

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <gsneddon@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:08:18 +0200
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: Andrew Cunningham <andrewc@vicnet.net.au>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> But you *did* in fact say to Henri that it seemed logical if Firefox,
> for Indian languages, defaults to either *Windows 1252* or UTF-8. If
> there is a free choice between win 1252 and UTF-8, then Win-1252 would
> be illogical to select.

I don't see how it would be illogical to select Windows-1252: you can
detect whether the document is UTF-8, then conclude it isn't and
fallback to Windows-1252. It makes little sense to make an encoding that
can be reliably detected a final-chance fallback.

If you make UTF-8 the fallback, you'll likely end up with a lot of pages
with a lot of U+FFFD characters shown in them. That doesn't seem very
practical.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon — Opera Software
<http://gsnedders.com/>