Re: ISSUE-76: Need feedback on splitting Microdata into separate specification

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:18:39 +0200
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Manu Sporny" <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, "HTMLWG WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:49:29 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>> Personally, I support the inclusion of Microdata in HTML5 as it is a
>> fairly simple syntax/model and a DOM interface which should be familar
>> to web developers while still solving real use cases. I can't see any
>> real benefits from breaking it out into a separate spec, especially
>> given that the actual elements and attributes would need to stay in
>> HTML5.
>
> Why would the elements and attributes need to stay in HTML5?

Because HTML5 has no mechanism for extending the language with
elements/attributes in a conforming way. At least that's my understanding,
I way very well be wrong. In any event, even if it were easy to split it
out I see no benefit for HTML5 at large or Microdata. Discussion on this
issue is futile however, I am just stating my opinion here and am sure
this issue will be forced to a vote before it can be settled.

--
Philip Jägenstedt