Re: ISSUE-76: Need feedback on splitting Microdata into separate specification

Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> Because HTML5 has no mechanism for extending the language with
> elements/attributes in a conforming way. At least that's my
> understanding, I way very well be wrong. In any event, even if it were

HTML5 allows "other applicable specifications" to extend the language.

As far as I can tell it was pointed out that this is good enough for
RDFa, so the same should be the case for microdata.

> easy to split it out I see no benefit for HTML5 at large or Microdata.

The benefit to HTML5 is reduced spec size. The benefit for Microdata
would be simpler maintenance. The benefit for RDFa would be fair
competition.

Sounds like everybody wins ;-)

> Discussion on this issue is futile however, I am just stating my opinion
> here and am sure this issue will be forced to a vote before it can be
> settled.

Potentially, but I don't think it's necessary to go there.

BR, Julian