Re: Locale/default encoding table

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> FIRSTLY: The "locale" "be" does it mean Belarusian ("be") or Belgian
> (also "be", though it is often written "BE"). The encoding is Cyrillic,
> so you obviously meant Belarusian. But then, why do you use the _country
> tag_ (UA)for Ukraine/Ukrainian? Same with "ar". I suppose you meant
> Arabic, because I don't think Argentine requires UTF-8 as default.

The data is straight from the Firefox localisation files.

I changed Ukraine back to "uk" earlier today; changing it to "ua" was
based on a misunderstanding.

All the tags are BCP47 language codes.

> Most commonly, a _locale_ is tagged using a combination of
> language_country. E.g. "en_US". I would like to see the same thing here,
> in some sort.

There were no country-specific locales in the data I used.

> Also, it is customary - though not required (but it would be nice to do
> it here)) - to put the country subtag in UPPERCASE.

I used the same case as was used in the registry:

   http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry

> SECONDLY: The tables ends by saying "All other locales => Windows 1252".
> But I think that is impossible to say.

All other locales in the source data used Win1252.