Re: typeof document.all

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 01:21:40 +0000 (UTC)
To: Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.org>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Brendan Eich wrote:

> > Personally I would be against underspecifying anything that can be
> > black-box tested from a Web page.
>
> This is silly. Is everything else in HTML5 full specified in terms of
> effects in the DOM, global objects, information leaks including implicit
> flows, and anything else "that can be black-box tested"?

More or less. Anything that is dominated by hardware characteristics (e.g.
timing, memory availability, input capacity limits, performance) is left
unspecified, but otherwise yes, things are intended to be fully specified.

> BTW, are you amenable to confining document.all to quirks mode?

It wouldn't be consistent with other quirks, but personally I don't mind
either way. Whatever people are willing to implement is fine by me.