Re: Locale/default encoding table

Ian Hickson On 09-10-14 03.28:

> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> I changed Ukraine back to "uk" earlier today; changing it to "ua" was
> based on a misunderstanding.

   [...]

>> Also, it is customary - though not required (but it would be nice to do
>> it here)) - to put the country subtag in UPPERCASE.
>
> I used the same case as was used in the registry:
>
>    http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry

Ok, fine, (since you cleared up the uk/UA issue above). Sorry I
did not notice that you updated it.

>> SECONDLY: The tables ends by saying "All other locales => Windows 1252".
>> But I think that is impossible to say.
>
> All other locales in the source data used Win1252.

So, here you *confirm* what I said: The "Mozilla corpus", is only
a bunch of around 75 locales. Quite impressing, but still only 75
possible ones. Readers of the spec will not know that by "all
others" you referred to that list.

It simply isn't possible to say "all others", unless we know which
one "the others" are. I gave you one possible locale "os_RU",
where win-1252 does not seem meaningful as a default.

It may work for an individual user. But, it doesn't sound like
someone offering a localized browser product for Ossetian users
inside Russia would have much success that way.

So you should rather list those "all other" locales, tag after
tag. Or find another way to phrase that line. You have allready
listed 30 locales. Only 45 more to go.
--
leif halvard silli