RE: Content sniffing, feed readers, etc. (was HTML interpreter vs. HTML user agent)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 08:49:39 +0000 (UTC)
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Sat, 30 May 2009, Larry Masinter wrote:

> > Note that this section is scheduled for demolition as soon as Adam
> > publishes his I-D as an RFC so that I have something to reference. The
> > text in the HTML5 spec isn't being updated anymore and is only there
> > so that implementors have something to reference.
>
> Please explain "his I-D" which lists "I. Hickson" as an author.

Adam is primarily editing the draft at this point; he credits me merely as
a kind acknowledgement because I wrote the bulk of the original text.

> Please compare "publish <personal> I-D as an RFC" against the
>   (well-documented) IETF process with respect to technical review,
>   and the documented decision process of RFC Editor and IESG.

Publishing involves technical review, yes. There is no difference.

> Please explain why said I-D is not "something to reference"
>    that "implementors have".

I guess I could point to the I-D, but that seems like something that is
normally frowned upon. If that is the preferred method of operating,
though, I guess I can do that. Are I-D URLs permanent? I was under the
impression that I-Ds expired.

> Please explain why either:
>    * giving implementors text in the HTML5 spec
>      which doesn't match text in the I-D is a good idea.
>    * not updating text in the I-D to respond to technical
>      criticism of the I-D
>   are good ideas.

Neither are good ideas. The former will not last long; the latter will not
happen at all (though of course since Adam has received contradictory
feedback, not everyone's feedback can be fully applied).

HTH,