RE: Content sniffing, feed readers, etc. (was HTML interpreter vs. HTML user agent)

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 01:03:38 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
> Note that this section is scheduled for demolition as soon as Adam
> publishes his I-D as an RFC so that I have something to reference. The
> text in the HTML5 spec isn't being updated anymore and is only there so
> that implementors have something to reference.

Please explain "his I-D" which lists "I. Hickson" as an author.

Please compare "publish <personal> I-D as an RFC" against the
  (well-documented) IETF process with respect to technical review,
  and the documented decision process of RFC Editor and IESG.

Please explain why said I-D is not "something to reference"
   that "implementors have".

Please explain why either:
   * giving implementors text in the HTML5 spec
     which doesn't match text in the I-D is a good idea.
   * not updating text in the I-D to respond to technical
     criticism of the I-D
  are good ideas.

Thanks!

Larry