Re: Draft W3C Excerpt License (Re: WG Decision - spec license use cases)

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 14:35:23 -0500
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: "Dailey, David P." <david.dailey@sru.edu>, Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, public-html@w3.org, site-policy@w3.org
On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 14:03 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Dailey, David P. wrote:
> > I am not sure if Philippe's intention was to have this discussion here at public-html as well
>
> I'm not certain what plh's intentions were, but given that we were asked
> to provide use cases as a group, I would like to gather together a
> response as a group.  I am planning on attending the AC meeting later
> this month, and would like to be able to represent the working group's
> position on this matter.

Having the response from the HTML Working Group prior to the AC meeting
is going to be useful indeed, and discussion on public-html is perfectly
appropriate. site-policy isn't a public list so it can't be used for
useful discussion. W3C, as a SDO, isn't used to the concept of allowing
a fork. On the other hand, the HTML community, which nowadays contains a
significant chunk of open source individuals, is perfectly used to that
concept. I see the current discussion as a good preparation for the one
we'll have at the upcoming AC meeting.

Philippe