Re: Draft W3C Excerpt License (Re: WG Decision - spec license use cases)

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 14:03:26 -0500
To: "Dailey, David P." <david.dailey@sru.edu>
CC: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org, site-policy@w3.org
Dailey, David P. wrote:
> I am not sure if Philippe's intention was to have this discussion here at public-html as well

I'm not certain what plh's intentions were, but given that we were asked
to provide use cases as a group, I would like to gather together a
response as a group.  I am planning on attending the AC meeting later
this month, and would like to be able to represent the working group's
position on this matter.

 From what I gather so far, this draft Excerpt License is not viewed as
sufficient.  In particular:

1) Several (not just Ian's, but others as well) documents that are being
developed with the intent of becoming the basis of a W3C Recommendation
or Note will continue to be developed outside of the W3C.

2) Many in this working group will continue to point people who may be
considering producing a derived work at the MIT-licensed version of such
documents hosted outside of the W3C.

Let me know if this impression is inaccurate.

- Sam Ruby