Re: Does anyone like microdata?

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Maciej Stachowiak<mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>

>> The text of HTML5 was all written by me, but I do disagree with several
>> parts of it. These include, but are not limited to:
>
> [...]
>

>>  - The inclusion of the microdata section
>
> Does anyone agree with the inclusion of the microdata section? It's
> certainly possible for a solution that no one likes to be the right answer,
> I would be concerned with a feature that had a constituency of 0. In
> particular, does anyone think microdata is better than including no
> solutions to address the use cases at which it is aimed?

I do think microdata is a very interesting proposal. However I would
like to hear more feedback from people designing microdata-like
syntaxes (such as the microformat community) as well as from people
consuming them. We've talked a little about microdata internally at
mozilla and in general people seem to like it, but I still need to
circulate the proposal more.

However I definitely would like to see the Predefined vocabularies
removed from the spec and instead let them fight on their own merits.
I think they are completely independent to the rest of the spec and
thus nothing would be lost by having them in their own spec.

That said. I'd also be fine with putting the whole microdata spec into
a separate specification, and let it fight on its own.

/ Jonas

/ Jonas