Re: Issues of @summary and use of data for "decisions"

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:00:12 -0500
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Hi Sam,

> Question:  is there consensus on a summary element being the right long-term
> solution?

No. It is a proposal. Al Gilman mentioned it before he retired from
PF. I picked it up and added the idea of an "open" attribute in an
effort to help solve  some of the problems that people have raised
with @summary. James also has a proposal using <details>.

> If so, what is in the critical path to making that happen?

The issue needs collaboration between PF and the HTML WG's.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Jun/0017.html

Ian wrote:
> There
> are some proposals for other solutions, but it's not clear that any of
>  them are compelling (though I may be wrong, and will find out for
> sure when I go through the feedback in more detail). Advice from the
> chairs about how to proceed on this topic would be useful.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jun/0581.html

Best regards,
Laura

--