Re: Disambiguating @summary from a long descriptor

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 14:20:38 +0200
To: joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, 'HTML WG' <public-html@w3.org>, 'Gez Lemon' <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, 'Steve Faulkner' <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>, "'Gregory J. Rosmaita'" <oedipus@hicom.net>, 'W3C WAI-XTECH' <wai-xtech@w3.org>, 'www-archive' <www-archive@w3.org>, 'Janina Sajka' <janina@rednote.net>, 'Sam Ruby' <rubys@intertwingly.net>, 'Ian Hickson' <ian@hixie.ch>
Joshue O Connor On 09-06-11 10.32:
> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>  I'm suggesting having @summary work exactly as it does
>> now in UAs and maybe adding a less-misuse-prone attribute that we
>> recommend web developers use.
>
> That may confuse the issue even more. As then @summary would probably
> be, by default, used as a long descriptor.

I am "on leave" from the HTMLwg for a month, but I have just
proposed (on Twitter) using <caption role="summary"> to
disambiguate captions from "summary captions". (I hope this
message still reaches the mailinglist ...)

OK, I don't know what role="" value to use - may be
role="contentinfo" or may be something new? (The good thing about
suggesting to use role="" is that WAI-ARIA, which currently has
much of the accessibility attention, can then think about the
issue and specify it better than in HTML 4!)

Test case with discussion: http://malform.no/html5/caption+role

Some advantages I would mention: Extremely compatible with legacy
_visual_ user agents (don't know about screen readers - but one
should think that, with attention ARIA has, that it would be
rather compatible). Plus that authors easily can change to
hide/show such summaries to all users.
--
leif halvard silli