Re: PF Response: @Summary

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 17:05:07 -0700
To: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Cc: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Mike Smith <mike@w3.org>, "W3C WAI Protocols & Formats" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, wai-liaison@w3.org, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org
On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:53 PM, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> Then there are the more complicated answers like "yes, there are cases
>> where you want different, but sometimes/often/mostly/occasionally you
>> don't" or "sometimes you want the information to be separate, but
>> people often get it wrong and only provide information to one of the
>> two groups". In these cases data and actual numbers would be helpful
>> in deciding if advantages outweigh disadvantages with either proposed
>> solution.
>
> All of the above and more.  If nothing, you have further made the case for
> ensuring that both solutions remain available in the developer's toolbox.
> Educating developers on how to make the appropriate choice is required,
> but giving the developer the choice in best informing their users cannot
> be anything but positive.  Choice is good!  Others in this thread have
> already articulated well the difference between the two (with Leif
> actually referencing existing documents), and as you have noted, there
> will be times when one is more appropriate than the other, but at that
> time, only you as content creator will be able to best decide which choice
> is most appropriate.

As stated, I don't have a strong opinion either way.

But I will note that I also pointed out the need to gather data. It's
easy to have an opinion, but we won't know whose opinion is right
until we get some data.

@summary has been specified for over 10 years, so there should be
plenty of data out there to show if it has been a good idea or not.
Wouldn't you agree?

/ Jonas