Re: PF Response: @Summary

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:27:32 +0300
Cc: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Mike Smith <mike@w3.org>, "W3C WAI Protocols & Formats" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, wai-liaison@w3.org, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
On Jun 5, 2009, at 03:05, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> But I will note that I also pointed out the need to gather data. It's
> easy to have an opinion, but we won't know whose opinion is right
> until we get some data.
>
> @summary has been specified for over 10 years, so there should be
> plenty of data out there to show if it has been a good idea or not.
> Wouldn't you agree?

I think the best data collection suggestion so far was made by Philip
Taylor on IRC yesterday:
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090604#l-1058

Of course, it wouldn't help unless people agree on a cut-off point.
E.g. whether a feature is a failure if the revealed preference of 80%
of the sample of the constituency is to route around the feature? 50%,
90%, 99%?

It's also possible that the answer isn't a boolean listens to
summary / doesn't listen to summary but depends on the page in which
case it would be most interesting to find out how a user decides
before listening to the summary whether to listen for it.

In general, yesterday's IRC log from http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090604#l-701
  onwards is relevant on this topic.

Especially:
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090604#l-757 through http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090604#l-764