RE: PF Response: @Summary

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 16:57:53 -0700 (PDT)
To: "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, "'Janina Sajka'" <janina@rednote.net>
Cc: "'Sam Ruby'" <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "'Chris Wilson'" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "'Michael Cooper'" <cooper@w3.org>, "'Dan Connolly'" <connolly@w3.org>, "'Mike Smith'" <mike@w3.org>, "'W3C WAI Protocols & Formats'" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, "'Gez Lemon'" <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, "'Laura Carlson'" <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, <wai-liaison@w3.org>, "'www-archive'" <www-archive@w3.org>, <public-html@w3.org>
Ian Hickson wrote:

> Evidence has been presented that actually not only does summary="" not
> actually in practice serve the need for which it is intended well, but
> that it causes extra harm to users,

Could you kindly share with us this evidence, please? (JF asks politely)

> So the data I have seen on the matter suggests that users in fact do not
> find the summary="" attribute to be useful.

Could you kindly share with us this data, please? (JF again asks politely)

> Actually the research I have seen suggests quite the opposite --

Could you kindly share with us this research, please? (JF once more asks
politely)

> I believe that restoring the summary="" attribute to the HTML5 language
> would negatively impact users, which is a greater concern to me than any
> possible impact to the specification itself.

While your personal belief is duly noted in the discussion (along with an
appreciation of your concerns), the consensus reached by Protocols and
Formats Working Group [an identified W3C experts group] on June 3, 2009
does not concur. Perhaps the evidence, data and research you mention (if
provided) might serve to suggest they re-evaluate their deliberations and
conclusion?

Otherwise, I like many, look forward to your cooperation in ensuring that
the draft specification re-instates the @summary attribute as requested by
PF-WG, given that "The HTML Working Group will cooperate with the Web
Accessibility Initiative to ensure that the deliverables will satisfy
accessibility requirements."
[http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html].

Sincerely,

JF