Re: Setting document.domain

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 01:00:27 +0000 (UTC)
To: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Cc: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, contact@publicsuffix.org

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Gervase Markham wrote:

> He is talking about an algorithm that, given a list, gives a true or
> false answer to see if a domain is entirely in it (i.e. it is a public
> suffix and registry-controlled) or is a superset of it (i.e. is
> end-entity controlled).
>
> http://publicsuffix.org/format/ is our current best effort.

What would be useful is if that page had something that said:

   The steps to determine if a string /candidate/ *matches a suffix in the
   list* are:

    1. ...

    2. ...

   The steps to determine if a string /candidate/ *matches the end of a
   suffix in the list* are:

    1. ...

    2. ...

That way I could just invoke those algorithms from HTML5 basically like
one would invoke a function in a library.

(Those are the two algorithms I would need for HTML5 today; it may be that
there are other algorithms that will be needed, in particular by the new
Cookie spec(s) being written.)