Re: Setting document.domain

From: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:34:26 +1100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, contact@publicsuffix.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
>    The steps to determine if a string /candidate/ *matches a suffix in the
>    list* are:

I've made a first attempt at this; I need to get it reviewed by the
implementor and then I will publish it.

To give you an initial idea if it fits your requirements, I can tell you
that the text begins as follows:

==Matching Algorithm==

The list is designed to be matched against domain names. Given a domain
name, consisting of one or more dot-separated labels, and a copy of the
public suffix list containing a number of rules, there are three
possible outcomes of a matching:

   1. there is no match between the public suffix list and the domain
      name (e.g. "localhost.localdomain" or "intranet")
   2. all labels in the domain name together form a public suffix (e.g.
      "co.uk" or "nsw.edu.au")
   3. a strict subset of labels in the domain name, beginning at the
      right-hand end, together form a public suffix (e.g. "bbc.co.uk"
      or "google.com")

To determine which is the correct outcome for a domain candidate.domain,
the procedure is as follows:

Gerv