Re: Setting document.domain

From: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:54:38 +1100
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, contact@publicsuffix.org

Adam Barth wrote:
> I'm not sure if such an algorithm exists.  The list of
> registry-controlled domains is some social artifact that changes
> depending on decisions made by registrars in small island countries
> and provinces in Japan.

He is talking about an algorithm that, given a list, gives a true or
false answer to see if a domain is entirely in it (i.e. it is a public
suffix and registry-controlled) or is a superset of it (i.e. is
end-entity controlled).

http://publicsuffix.org/format/ is our current best effort.

[Note that I am currently not a subscriber to public-html@w3.org or any
WHAT-WG list.]