Re: Microsoft's cross-document messaging and DOM Storage tests published

Thanks a bunch for publishing/contributing
test materials, Adrian...

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 10:44 -0800, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Wednesday 2009-01-28 09:27 -0800, Adrian Bateman wrote:
> > At a certain point, though, we will need to decide that certain
> > tests are "done" and should not be modified.
>
> No, the spec is normative, and the tests are not, so if tests are
> found to be incorrect, they should be fixed.

Since lots of developers will use the tests without reading
the spec, I prefer to have both the spec and the tests be normative.
If they conflict, there's a bug, and I don't see much value
in pre-judging where the bug is.

> (That said, there may be cases where it would be desirable to change
> the spec if the test caused interoperable behavior that disagreed
> with the spec but was not actually a problem.  However, that would
> need to be done through a decision to change the spec.)
>
> -David

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E