RE: biased surveys and other tricks

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:23:16 -0800
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

# Do you have an argument for why temporarily proceeding with option (D)  is the best way to keep our options open...

Maciej,

Another "straw man argument"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "set up a straw man," one describes a position that superficially resembles an opponent's actual view, yet is easier to refute. Then, one attributes that position to the opponent. For example, someone might deliberately overstate the opponent's position.  While a straw man argument may work as a rhetorical technique-and succeed in persuading people-it carries little or no real evidential weight, since the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.

Please stop. I have not advocated "temporarily proceeding with option (D)" and have instead suggested that the options be kept explicitly open:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jan/0311.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jan/0320.html

Larry
--