Re: Microsoft's cross-document messaging and DOM Storage tests published

From: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:29:25 +0000
To: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
CC: public-html <public-html@w3.org>

Adrian Bateman wrote:
> [...]
> We'd welcome any other feedback you have about the tests.

A couple of minor issues I noticed in the localStorage tests:

http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/IETestCenter/HTML5/DOMStorage/localStorage_key.htm
is too strict - it requires '("foo" == storage.key(0) && "wow" ==
storage.key(1) && "dom" == storage.key(2))', whereas the spec only requires:

     "The key(n) method must return the name of the nth key in the list.
The order of keys is user-agent defined, but must be consistent within
an object between changes to the number of keys. (Thus, adding or
removing a key may change the order of the keys, but merely changing the
value of an existing key must not.)"

so any permutation of the keys should be considered acceptable in this case.

http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/IETestCenter/HTML5/DOMStorage/localStorage_getItem_null.htm
is insufficiently strict - it requires '(null == szGetValue)', but that
will be true if the value is 'undefined' instead of 'null'. The test
should use '===' instead of '==', to ensure the type is correct. (I
think IE8 did actually return 'undefined' when I last looked, which is a
bug that this test misses.)

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk