Re: head@profile: another dropped attribute

At 01:19 PM 2/5/2009 +0000, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:

>I think there is always a place for "humble tags that do only one thing",
>and I would suspect that the vast majority of markup consists primarily
>of such tags.  But when speaking of tags such as <font>, it is important
>(IMHO) to appreciate that not only do they do only one thing, they do
>that thing only for one target audience : those who have normal visual
>abilities, and who therefore view web content visually.  But what of
>those who do not have such abilities : the blind, and partially sighted ?
>Of what use to them is a stretch of text surrounded by <font> tags ?
>One thing on which I though we were all agreed is that the web must,
>first and foremost, be accessible (to all), and that the use of
>purely visual styling treats those lacking normal visual abilities
>as second-class citizens.

Frankly, your example makes us all second-class citizens, and does not harm
the visually-impaired any more than the sighted. That is, knowledge that
a span of text is in a different color than the rest of the text only tells me
that that text is in a different color. Unless there is a key, I don't know
anything
more about that colored text than the next guy -- sighted or not. No
discrimination.
No harm, no foul.