Re: Public feedback on HTML5 video

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:02:20 +0100
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "Edward O'Connor" <hober0@gmail.com>, "Jeremy Keith" <jeremy@adactio.com>, HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:45:29 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>>> Potentially because of servers without proper partial request (byte
>>> range) support...
>>  In such a case I think one can still decode the first frame and report
>> the duration as +Inf (this is allowed per spec, and it is true if the
>> resource is a live stream like a webcam).
>
> In that case you'd need still to do a complete GET, and then abort the
> connection (unless I'm missing something). Not good..
>
> Best regards, Julian

Why is that not good, and how could the browser possibly know that the
resource is not seekable without trying to GET it?

In any case, I think we should always try to get the first frame and
duration unless we spec an opt-out from that behavior, the implementation
details are quite beside the point.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer