Re: Public feedback on HTML5 video

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I think it's more useful to load the duration and dimensions.  This is
>> typically going to be only a couple of extra packets loaded
>> asynchronously, right?
>

> It's worse than that for Ogg, but I agree. Given that there's currently no
> API to say "please load enough to give me the duration and dimensions, but
> no more", that seems like a good default behaviour (and is what Firefox
> does). Well, in fact we also proceed up to loadeddata, even if there is a
> poster frame, but I think that's OK --- it's still a small amount of data
> compared to a full video.
>
> Rob

In Ogg and Annodex we have used a HTTP parameter called
X-Content-Duration to communicate the duration of a video to a user
agent. It may be an idea to introduce / implement this more widely for
any content type, since typically it is not much of a problem for a
server extension to calculate the duration of a video, but the user
agent has to do all sorts of acrobatics to find out such. There is
just the issue of creating server extensions...

Regards,
Silvia.