Re: http content type authoritative for object data?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 23:16:49 -0800
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On 12/9/09 5:54 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> This is incorrect. In the Firefox 3.0 development cycle we tried to
> change our implementation to match HTML 4, but had to revert due to
> breaking websites.

To be clear, Firefox 2.0 and earlier always gave @type priority over the
Content-Type header.  We tried to change this to match HTML4, as Jonas
says, and ran into a whole slew of site compatibility issues that we
then spent a fair amount of time resolving, mostly by going back to the
old behavior in certain special cases...

-Boris