HTML5/SMIL integration [was: Re: ISSUE-10: suggest closing]

From: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:32:05 -0400
To: HTML WG Public List <public-html@w3.org>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, www-smil@w3.org
> We had this input from the SYMM WG on December, 2007:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Dec/0219.html

> This linked to a detailed comparison, but there was apparently little
> interest in changing HTML5 <video> to be more like SMIL, since the
> message received no replies and there was no follow-up.

I am explicitly not a video or audio expert, but I went through the
differences list at
http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/2007/12/SMIL-AudioVideoControlConcepts.html

The most important differences do seem to have been resolved.  (That
draft seems to be primarly discussing a elements with @src, but
without <source> elements.)

The next most important differences seem to be cases where HTML5 has
made an intentional simplification.  The SMIL standard has some
additional advantages for a very motivated author, but it does make
senes to defer those enhancements until the next release.

There were also a few naming differences listed.  It would be best to
resolve these if possible, but as best I could tell, HTML5 has already
resolved them by just dropping the attribute entirely from this
version; I have no idea whether legacy concerns will prevent the use
of SMIL names if they are re-added in a future HTML version.

-jJ