Re: <progress> element and attributes vs. content

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Tab Atkins Jr.<jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Jonas Sicking<jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

>>> The parsing algorithm only supports using the full stop as the decimal
>>> separator.  People from regions that normally use the comma as the decimal
>>> separator, and who wish to use that notation for fallback, need to provide
>>> the value in the attributes.
>>>
>>> So to represent the value 75,3%, they would have to use:
>>>
>>> <progress value="0.753">75,3%</progress>
>>
>> Then there is the thousands-separator issue, in Swedish it's common to write
>>
>> <progress>203'321 byte av totalt 1'048'576<progress>
>
> I'm wondering if it's possible to revise the algorithm to ignore
> grouping glyphs commonly used internationally.  Even using the , as a
> thousands separator, as is common in English, would break parsing.

Actually, i noticed that "75 out of 100" is not a problem. The
algorithm says that the maximum number is the higher of the two, and
the current value is the lower.

However that makes something like this fun:

<progress>200 av 1,024</progress>

Is that 20% (comma interpreted as thousand separator) or is that 0.5%
(comma interpreted as decimal separator)?

/ Jonas