Re: <progress> element and attributes vs. content

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Jonas Sicking<jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Lachlan Hunt<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
>> Adrian Bateman wrote:

>>> I think this is my specific concern - how well does this work
>>> internationally?
>>
>> The parsing algorithm only supports using the full stop as the decimal
>> separator.  People from regions that normally use the comma as the decimal
>> separator, and who wish to use that notation for fallback, need to provide
>> the value in the attributes.
>>
>> So to represent the value 75,3%, they would have to use:
>>
>> <progress value="0.753">75,3%</progress>
>
> Then there is the thousands-separator issue, in Swedish it's common to write
>
> <progress>203'321 byte av totalt 1'048'576<progress>

I'm wondering if it's possible to revise the algorithm to ignore
grouping glyphs commonly used internationally.  Even using the , as a
thousands separator, as is common in English, would break parsing.

> And I'm worried that there are languages where writing
> <progress>Out of 100, so far 75</progress>
> would be common. However playing around with google translate I was
> unable to find one.

That was my original fear as well once I sat down to consider the
issue, but I also have no clue if that's common in any major language.

~TJ