Re: <progress> element and attributes vs. content

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:49:45 -0700
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Lachlan Hunt<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
> Adrian Bateman wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, August 14, 2009 10:46 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> This is anecdotal, but to me it appears that they're rather robust, at
>>> least for English.
>>
>> I think this is my specific concern - how well does this work
>> internationally?
>
> The parsing algorithm only supports using the full stop as the decimal
> separator.  People from regions that normally use the comma as the decimal
> separator, and who wish to use that notation for fallback, need to provide
> the value in the attributes.
>
> So to represent the value 75,3%, they would have to use:
>
> <progress value="0.753">75,3%</progress>

Then there is the thousands-separator issue, in Swedish it's common to write

<progress>203'321 byte av totalt 1'048'576<progress>

And I'm worried that there are languages where writing
<progress>Out of 100, so far 75</progress>
would be common. However playing around with google translate I was
unable to find one.

/ Jonas