Re: <canvas> and the 2D context API (was RE: Begin discussions for pushing Last Call into 2010)

Shelley Powers wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>> Adrian Bateman wrote:

>>> My understanding is that the WG decision was that canvas was in scope
>>> for the working group. The mail documenting the decision [1]
>>> indicates that there was some support for the 2D context API being
>>> documented separately:
>>>
>>> We also note support for splitting the immediate mode graphics API
>>> out of the HTML 5 spec and inten to pursue that option by recruiting
>>> writing resources.
>>> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/tactics-gapi-canvas/results#xq3
>>>
>>> I don't know whether having the <canvas> element defined in the HTML
>>> 5 spec but the graphics API in a separate document solves the
>>> accessibility issue at the root of this thread. I suspect there is
>>> some relationship since a different API would likely require
>>> different accessibility support.
>>>
>>> Nonetheless, I think Microsoft would support that separation since,
>>> amongst other things, it would allow the graphics API to proceed in
>>> the longer term on a different rhythm to the HTML 5 spec itself.
>>
>> Now that's a different matter.  I previously was reacting mainly to
>> Shelley's assertion that it is out of scope[2].
>>

> I don't see how I was unclear. I have been quite upfront about where I
> stand on this issue [1]. The only thing that's changed is others have
> entered the discussion. If others have brought in a new level of
> clarification, great. Speaking of which...
>
>> If we agree that it is in scope, and if the discussion is about
>> whether the existing spec language into one or possibly multiple
>> documents, then that's a decision that hasn't been made yet, and I
>> would hope that anybody who wanted to raise an issue along these lines
>> would do so before Last Call, and ideally would have a discussion,
>> concrete rationale, and possibly even a concrete proposal on how to do
>> this.
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Adrian.
>>>
>>> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Dec/0094.html
>>
>> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0619.html
>>

> Adrian, thank you, yes, I did mean the API, not the Canvas element
> directly. I don't necessarily agree with Sam that the API is within
> scope of the Charter for this group, but I'm more interested in results
> than mechanisms, and procedures.

That's the part that is potentially a Formal Objection.  I'm pleased to
hear that you are less interested in that part.

> If we were to split the API into a separate document, could it progress
> at a different pace than the main HTML 5 specification? Could it also
> have a different editor or set of editors? Not to exclude Ian, but he
> seemed amenable to this being managed separately in the earlier survey:
>
> "The actual 2D graphics context APIs probably should be split out on the
> long term, like many other parts of the spec. On the short term, if
> anyone actually is willing to edit this as a separate spec, there are
> much higher priority items that need splitting out and editing, and I
> would strongly recommend they work on that instead (like setTimeout and
> the Alternative Stylesheets OM). I would be very happy to work closely
> with people on doing such work. The WebAPI working group would also be a
> good forum for such work.
>
> (Note though that even if we take out the 2D graphics context, the
> element still belongs in the HTML spec, as it's part of the language. So
> technically "<canvas>" still would be in the spec; just the graphics
> context API would be taken out. One could argue that that would lead to
> the spec being overly confusing to implementors, who generally prefer
> things in one place to implement them, as it leads to fewer "cracks
> between the specs".)"
>
> Now, I do agree that the Canvas _element_ belongs in the HTML
> specification, but the API should be split out. Doing so would also work
> in well with the ongoing effort to incorporate accessibility.

This part is potentially an Issue.  Progress on resolving an issue will
be tracked through Action Items.  Action Items require a task
description, an owner and a date.  Beyond that, I don't believe I can
improve upon Maciej's response, so I will simply link to it:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0632.html