Re: The cite and pubdate attributes

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:48:41 +0100, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>    The cite and pubdate attributes now defined for the article and
> section elements don't seem to be very well designed.  It's not entirely
> clear what problem they are meant to solve, or use cases they are
> addressing.  They also violate the usual visible metadata pattern and
> duplicate much of the functionality of other features that are already
> in the spec.

For what it's worth, when redesigning my site to use HTML 5, I discarded
the idea of using pubdate as it seemed to me hidden metadata that also
duplicated  the data in most blogpost's content.

The time element in the header of this article already adequately
expresses the information

     <article>
         <header>
             <h2 id="post-1915"><a href="blah">Accessibility of HTML 5
video</a></h2>
             <time datetime="2009-07-30">Thursday 30 July 2009</time>
         </header>
     </article>