Fragment Identifiers and Focus

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:34:44 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org
Hi, HTML WG-

Currently, the HTML5 spec doesn't seem to say anything about the
relationship between focus navigation and navigation to fragment
identifier targets.  Browsers differ on this.

I propose that we specify this.  Specifically, I prefer Firefox's
behavior here: when navigating to a fragment-id, the target element
should gain focus if it is focusable, or serve as the focal locus from
which all subsequent focus should proceed.  I've made a page to
demonstrate this [1].

I read through what seemed the relevant parts of the HTML5 spec [2][3],
but I couldn't see anything about this.  This may fall out of the
fragment-id and focus models already, but it should still be explicitly
called out.

[1] http://www.schepers.cc/standards/html/focus-frag.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/editing.html#focus
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/history.html#scroll-to-fragid