Re: function and impacts (was: @scope and @headers reform)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:03:27 +0300
Cc: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, Al Gilman <alfred.s.gilman@ieee.org>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
To: joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie

On Sep 25, 2008, at 11:52, Joshue O Connor wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> On Sep 25, 2008, at 10:58, Joshue O Connor wrote:
> <snip>
>>> It's not a desired stance /against/ native enabling semantics at
>>> all. It's a distilled realization that this may be needed in order
>>> to make more complex tables accessible in a way that will
>>> practically work. Again, the semantic ideal vs the real world.
>>> Supporting this behavior in the spec until UAs can deal with the
>>> improved algorithm (and you make very valid points about the need
>>> to improve it) would mean that HTML 5 will support older AT "out
>>> of the box". On this issue anyway.
>> Why is making headers to point to td relevant to supporting legacy
>> UAs? (See my previous email for an elaboration.)
>
> Allowing headers to reference a td would allow more complex tables
> to be made accessible to users of assistive technology. The
> suggested method works in current and older AT as support for header/
> id combinations is rather good. [1] [2] [3] [4]

Would it not work if the cell pointed to were marked up as a th
instead of marking it up as a td? If a cell is a header to the point
of having the headers attribute point to it, why isn't it a header to
the point of being marked up as th?

(Guiding authors to mark their header cells as th is the onramp to get
into a situation where the headers attribute can fade away in most
cases once automatic association algorithm implementations enter the
installed base.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi