Re: function and impacts (was: @scope and @headers reform)

On Sep 25, 2008, at 10:58, Joshue O Connor wrote:

> Henri said:
>> That said, I have four problems with the way headers/id has been
>> lobbied.
>> 1) Headers pointing to td. I may be missing some practical issues
>> here, but to me it seems that this is essentially a statement
>> against native markup semantics enabling accessibility and for
>> promoting bolt-on accessibility as an ongoing solution.
>
> It's not a desired stance /against/ native enabling semantics at
> all. It's a distilled realization that this may be needed in order
> to make more complex tables accessible in a way that will
> practically work. Again, the semantic ideal vs the real world.
> Supporting this behavior in the spec until UAs can deal with the
> improved algorithm (and you make very valid points about the need to
> improve it) would mean that HTML 5 will support older AT "out of the
> box". On this issue anyway.

Why is making headers to point to td relevant to supporting legacy
UAs? (See my previous email for an elaboration.)

>> 2) The attitude that a *handful* of AT vendors can't implement
>> complex algorithms so instead it's OK that *countless* authors
>> should go through trouble they wouldn't need to go through
> >if the client software had the kind of algorithms James' inspector
> has is just wrong.
>
> James' table inspector is a very useful tool and yes, AT support for
> these algorithms is poor. If we try and shoe in our ideal of how
> things should be, even though we know in the real world our ideals
> may not be supported, surly we are asking for trouble? Especially
> when we can see that even existing table algorithms are poorly
> supported by current AT, and the HTML 4 spec has been a TR for many
> years. If this pattern continues, and I see little evidence to the
> contrary, whatever comes out of the stable door when HTML5 is
> unleashed will in all likelihood also be poorly implemented.

I don't, either, expect AT implement algorithms that HTML5 stipulates.
However, it seems that the browser side of reporting things to
accessibility APIs is an area of active development for the top 4
browser engines.

>> 4) The message has been "HTML5 should have headers/id"--just that.
>> However, I haven't noticed suggested solutions to obvious problems
>> that would flow from having headers/id, such as how to deal with
>> cyclic references.
>
> Well, we have anecdotal evidence, expert opinion, we could have
> video footage (though I am unconvinced at how effective that would
> be), complex table examples to indicate the issue, and many many
> emails on the pros and cons from a multitude of perspectives. As far
> as cyclic references, I have never come across them myself, apart
> from on this list :-)

Here's an example of a table with at least one headers/id cycle:
http://www.usdoj.gov/jmd/fass/afvreport2005.htm

Regardless of how common this is, if headers cells can be chained AND
authors can add arbitrary header associations, it is *possible* to
construct a cyclic header chain. A proper spec must, then, define in
detail what an agent is to do with cycles. (What does existing client
software do, btw?)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi