Re: Dirac 1.0.0 released. Comments?

Dave, Matt

Just to clarify, as there seems to be some confusion:

Dirac is absolutely viable for specification as a codec in HTML5.

Dirac is a completely general-purpose codec. It can, for example,  be a
long-GOP, low-bitrate codec which can be used for internet streaming or
IPTV. In fact this is what it was originally designed for.

Dirac does have special modes suitable for media production - these are
known as Dirac *Pro*, and the BBC is already using hardware implementing
these. Dirac Pro is being standardised through SMPTE as VC-2, and this
is very nearly complete. When it is complete, our intent is to
standardise the remaining parts of Dirac.

regards

Thomas Davies
Dirac Team, BBC Research

http://www.bbc.co.uk/