How to add/reinstate dropped accessibly features in HTML5 (was Re: longdesc="" in HTML5)

Hi Mike, Chris, and Dan,

I have asked this question before [1] regarding the editor's remarks
[2] of the of how to add/reinstate dropped HTML4 accessibility
features. I haven't received a response, so I'll ask it again.

Is this WHATWG FAQ [3] an official W3C HTML5 working group process/procedure?

Many thanks.

Best Regards,
Laura

 [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Jun/0145.html
 [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Jun/0140.html
 [3] http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_the_spec.3F

On 9/7/08, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> I hate to throw fuel on the fire here, but as far as longdesc="" is
> concerned, the reason it isn't in HTML5 is that there has never been any
> feedback sent that described a problem for which longdesc="" was even
> remotely considered as a solution.
>
> As is described here:
>
> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_the_spec.3F
>
> ...and as has been previously described on this list, the way that any
> feature gets added is by first establishing a problem to solve, and then
> coming up with the best solutions to address the problem. To get on my
> radar, there has to be an actual problem we are trying to solve that isn't
> already solved in some better way. This has never happened for any problem
> where longdesc="" (or things like it) were a candidate solution.
>
> --

Laura L. Carlson