Re: fragid navigation and pct-encoded

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:55:17 +0200
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Apparently there are some differences between browsers in the handling of
> percent escaped characters in fragment identifiers. I made a few tests to
> figure out the different behavior:
>  http://tc.labs.opera.com/html/navigation/fragids/
> I was able to test in Opera 9.5, Firefox 3.0, and Internet Explorer 6.0.

Raw results:

In Chrome and Safari 3.1.2 on Windows (same results, unsurprisingly ;-) ):
Test 3 says A (as HTML5)
Test 4 says B
Test 8 says B

In IE7:
Test 2 says A
Test 3 says A
Test 6 says A
Test 8 says B

In Firefox
Same as the "expected results" column.

> Results:
> IE does not handle pct-encoded in fragment which is in violation of RFC
> 3986. It does nothing special with either the name or id attributes; simple
> literal matching.

IE7 seems to align with IE6 here, if I analyze the results correctly.

I'll let you do the analysis of the WebKit results, as I haven't
digged into the internals of the tests.

BTW, have you tried with links within the same document? There
shouldn't be any difference IMO but just in case...

Thomas Broyer