Re: What namespace features popular SVG tools really emit (ISSUE-37)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 22:45:50 +0200
To: "Dailey, David P." <david.dailey@sru.edu>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:24:57 +0200, Dailey, David P.
<david.dailey@sru.edu> wrote:
> Okay, I'm easy to convince. I've usually not put DOCTYPE's in my SVG
> since someone who presumably knew what they were talking about told me
> it was a bad idea. To me DOCTYPE's and namespaces are all magic -- just
> tell me what to do and please don't change the rules too often.

Yeah, avoiding DOCTYPEs is probably good. Henri wrote in his thesis why
DTDs are a bad idea:

   http://hsivonen.iki.fi/thesis/html5-conformance-checker.xhtml#dtd

(The specific problem here is what he calls "Infoset Augmentation".)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>