Re: <q>

2008/10/29 Ivan Enderlin <w3c@hoa-project.net>

> Sam Kuper a écrit :
>
>> Since both the tags and the quotation marks have equal claim to wrap the
>> quotations, I suggest we forego the dilemma by accepting the solution I have
>> proposed in my previous emails on the topic.
>>
> Well, forego the dilemma and accept your solution, I am agree with, but it
> represents a lot of work

It may mean more work upfront for the working group and UA implementors, but
in the long run, I think it will mean less work for all who work with quotes
in HTML, especially authors. It may also save future working groups some
amount of discussion time.

Since I'm both on the working group and an author of documents marked up in
HTML, I have an interest in striking a balance between the two activities
that represents the least overall effort for me. I believe the suggestion
I've proposed fulfils this (in other words, the sacrifice required to codify
quotation rules - even if I were asked by the group to codify them for half
a dozen languages myself and report back, which is unlikely but possible -
would be worthwhile, because of the labour it would ultimately save me when
I'm marking up quotes in documents over the coming years).

Regards,

Sam