Re: <q>

From: Gonzalo Rubio <gonchuki@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:12:04 -0100
To: "Sam Kuper" <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
Cc: "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net> wrote:
> 2008/10/24 Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
>>
>> 2008/10/24 Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
>>>
>>> 4) nest automatically with an attribute to control quoting
>>
>> I take it you mean that the attribute would state that, for instance, "The
>> first level of nesting is to be rendered with double quotation marks, the
>> next level with single ones, and any further levels will alternate in the
>> same fashion." If so, I favour this option: it permits the greatest
>> separation of presentation from content.
>
> That said, it must be possible to override the rule in specific instances.
> Suppose I am marking up content which contains a phrase that is definitely a
> quotation, yet the author has only remembered to include the opening
> quotation mark. In order to preserve what the author has written, I must be
> able to override any rule that would by default append a quotation mark to
> the quote (or alternatively, specify a rule that only puts a quotation mark
> at the beginning of the quote).
> Another thought: shouldn't the rules be expressed in CSS? They do represent
> a 'style' of punctuation, after all.

current UAs that support the <q> element as it was meant already
implement the :before and :after pseudo-elements to control the
styling, so that case is covered by existing browsers.
That is, at least Firefox (Gecko 1.8 & 1.9), Opera 9.5+ and
Safari/Chome allow the styling of <q> elements, and also replacement
of the character used for representation of the quotation mark via the
content: CSS property.