Re: <q>

From: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:37:57 +0100
To: "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
2008/10/24 Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>

> 2008/10/24 Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
>>
>> 4) nest automatically with an attribute to control quoting
>>
> I take it you mean that the attribute would state that, for instance, "The
> first level of nesting is to be rendered with double quotation marks, the
> next level with single ones, and any further levels will alternate in the
> same fashion." If so, I favour this option: it permits the greatest
> separation of presentation from content.

That said, it must be possible to override the rule in specific instances.
Suppose I am marking up content which contains a phrase that is definitely a
quotation, yet the author has only remembered to include the opening
quotation mark. In order to preserve what the author has written, I must be
able to override any rule that would by default append a quotation mark to
the quote (or alternatively, specify a rule that only puts a quotation mark
at the beginning of the quote).

Another thought: shouldn't the rules be expressed in CSS? They do represent
a 'style' of punctuation, after all.