Re: Splitting up the spec

From: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 01:34:19 -0500
To: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

In http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Nov/0415.html,
Toby Inkster wrote:

> 7. _The HTML5 Browser_: this would normatively reference all of the
> above specifications, plus CSS 2.1, ECMAScript, XHR and Workers. Also
> a lot of the non-"document.*" Javascripty bits from the current HTML5
> spec should be included: Window, History, Location, UndoManager, the
> draggable stuff, the contentEditable stuff, etc. Same origin; content-
> type sniffing.

I just want to say that documenting Window, History, Location, etc is a
great thing, and long overdue; it just isn't part of the Markup Language.

> Splitting up the specs to help make progress faster, measured
> either as reaching CR faster, decoupling dependencies that might
> reach REC  faster,

I think that would be true of 2-6.  I wouldn't expect them all to
beat 1 and 7, but if none of them do, then it means they weren't
really mature enough to put in the HTML spec anyhow.

> getting specification text written faster,

and it gives some bite-size pieces that someone could take over.

-jJ